Wednesday 6 February-
Super Tuesday! Well...sort of. It was Super Tuesday in the US, therefore it was Wednesday here. Wednesday after my field trip (to a lawn bowling club! haha) I went to an event at Sydney Uni held for "Super Tuesday." It was pretty amazing to see how many Aussies are interested in US politics. They had a huge screen that they were broadcasting CNN on and were doing lots of "mock" voting and contests. I went with my friend Kelsey and after a while three men, two on her side and one on mine, realized we were American and were pretty excited about talking to us. This whole thing actually made me realize how ignorant Americans are about other countries. Granted not every Australian was at this event and not all Americans are ignorant about foreign politics, etc... but it's pretty evident how bad Americans are. Actually if you turn on the news here...a lot of the stories are about different countries, especially the US. Like I just turned the news on and the shooting about NIU (Feb 15) was on.
Friday 8 February-
After class was over...went to this bar called World Bar. Just thought I would include this because they serve their drinks in teapots...pretty weird.
Sunday 10 February-
SUCH A GOOD DAY! A bunch of my friends and I decided to take a day trip to Hunter Valley which also included a stop at the Australian Reptile Park. We had to get up really early...we met downtown at 7:40am. Ironically, also on the trip were three other girls from our program too.
First we stopped at the Australian Reptile Park. This was really fun...mostly because I finally got to see some animals that are native to Australia! First I saw a koala! Oh my gosh, they are so cute, I was so happy to finally see one (actually two!) In New South Wales (the state the Sydney is in), you aren't allowed to hold koalas.. you can only pet them. Either way, I was so happy, I kind of felt like a 5 year old. After that I saw a bunch of kangaroos! Also very exciting, some of them are pretty cute too. They have incredibly long feet which are (obviously) good for all of the jumping they do. Also, they only have three toes, and the middle one is about three times longer than the other two. So anyways, we got to feed the kangaroos and we took a lot of pictures with them. And then i finally saw some spiders...I managed to miss the crocodile though.
After the animals we took off to Hunter Valley. Hunter Valley is responsible for about 10% of the wine production in Australia, and it is really beautiful. We went to three wineries and a brewery. I learned a little more about wine and some of the terminology and I actually got to drink red wine... I still don't like it very much. Maybe some day.
Tuesday 12 February-
I finally had my interview on Tuesday. It was even an interview really, more like a placement meeting. The hotel I will be working at is the Intercontinental Hotel in downtown Sydney. It is really pretty, has a somewhat modern feel and I think it's around 300 rooms. There will be six of us from the BU program working at the Intercon, including two of my friends Jenn and Glynnis. I will be interning in the Sales and Marketing department, and I think somewhat focusing on the events side of sales. For the past year or so I've been thinking this is what I might want to do, so I'm really excited about this opportunity. I will finally get the chance to be in a hotel, work in a non-food and beverage department, and meet some Australians in a work environment! Ya, I'm very excited.
Friday 15 February-
So finally you get to hear why the title of this entry is "I'm Procrastinating!" I had a 2,000 page paper due today for my Australian culture and society class. It was actually for my module (our class split up into three different classes) which is about Immigration. I did a paper about World War 2 and the effect it had on immigration into Australia during that time. And now...I have a 3,000 word paper due tomorrow (hence the procrastination). I've got it started, I'm about 1/3 of the way done and I've got all my research I just need to do it! The paper is for my Brand Advertising and Promotion paper which is about product placement in movies, tv, etc. So I'm off to do that, and therefore...nothing too exciting is going on this Friday night. I'll finish this and maybe get a little break tomorrow night, then Sunday our whole program is headed off to Melbourne, Sydney's rival city located in Victoria (south of here)!!
No comments:
Post a Comment