
On the way there we stopped at this famous burger place. In Australia putting "beetroot" (aka beets) on burgers is really common..actually kind of the norm. After this weekend, I realized why I got beets on my veggie burger two weeks ago. Anyways..we arrived at about 10pm, had a short orientation and went to bed a little bit after that.
On Saturday morning, I woke up at 6:30. I can't really remember the last time I did that! We had breakfast and got fitted for these ridiculous full body wetsuits. They actually weren't that bad, just a little tricky to put on. We were at the beach by 8:30 and split up into little groups. In my group was myself.. Rachel, Glynnis, Jenn, Kelsey, and Nicole. Our surf instructor's name is Winnie.. aka Justin Wynn. He was actually 18, which we thought was pretty funny. So he basically taught us everything we needed to know.

I .. sorta.. got up in the first two hours. After lunch in the second two hour session I got up a few times..and that was really exciting! By the end of the second session I was just completely exhausted and all I could taste was salt water - ew. Later that day we hung around the pool, ate dinner, hung out with the surf instructors and our entire group (about 40 people), and later we went to this place called "Fishos" which I'm pretty sure is the only restaurant/club/bar in the entire town. It was pretty fun..there were families there and basically people ranging from the ages of 7-70. haha
The second day, Sunday, we got up again..really early. There was another instructor with us named Summer, and in the morning she gave me a push on this really great wave and I got up and rode all the way to the beach. That was even more exciting! After that it was kind of down hill... I think that my body was just so exhausted that I couldn't even move after while. (No wonder all of the surf instructors were soo skinny and soo in shape!) For the rest of the 3rd and 4th sessions I somewhat got up but it usually didn't happen. In the afternoon, the waves were also a lot bigger than ever before, so that made it a little more challenging!
Anyways...it was just such a great experience. The only unfortunate thing was that I never got up when the photographer was around, so I don't have any pictures of myself surfing. Now I'm back to class... I have a paper due next week which I need to start thinking about and tonight I start a module about Cultural Immersion for my Australia class.
No comments:
Post a Comment